
Each year I try to take the time to go through all my tools, write down what they are, their value and take a digital picture of each. I then store the picture on my computer but also send copies to my insurance agent for a record in case my computer should crash. By doing this it does several things. I find I bought more tools this past year than I thought I had. I realize that tools I had last year have come up missing. And, it helps me to make a list of tools that need repair, so I make a parts list so they can be ordered. Sometimes, I even find things I had forgotten I even had. This also gives me the opportunity to clean up and rearrange my tool shed to be more organized and easier to get to. As I go through each box, I inspect each tool, clean it and the case it is in, then make sure it actually runs. By doing this, I often find broken tools that employees did not report as broken. It really irks me when I get a tool out to use and find it broken and unusable. I usually find things such as drill bits, router bits, wrenches, and screw drivers stowed away in boxes that they don't belong in. This job usually takes a couple of days work before I am pleased with the organization and then maybe a day to repair tools. I usually do most of my tool repair myself for two reasons, one I like to do it and two it saves me money. Make it a habit to do this on a regular basis and you will save yourself time in the long run.
No comments:
Post a Comment